History

//History
History 2017-02-12T23:51:11+00:00

 

1894

Fitter and master mechanic Jakob Kachelmann founded an art and construction metal works in the „Castle blacksmith on Jakobsberg“ in Bamberg. He specialised in the repair, modernisation and fabrication of tower clocks (including the tower clock of the Bamberg cathedral).

1911

Relocation of the workshop to the Bamberg mill quarter (Geyerswörthstraße). Use of water power for lathes and milling enabled the mechanical production of gears.

1919

Andreas Kachelmann, oldest son of the founder, became partner in his father’s company, that then became „J. Kachelmann & Sohn“.

In the 1920s the company changed over to the repair of gearboxes and couplings from all makes of vehicles and became the special company for manufacturing automotive spare parts – at this time the only one in all of north Bavaria.

1935

After the death of the founder, Jakob Kachelmann, his youngest son, also named Jakob, entered the company and took over the commercial management. Jakob is 17 years younger than his brother Andreas. The company now had fully established itself in machine construction and in custom (large) gearbox construction.

1938

Starting in 1938 the location in the Bamberg city centre ran out of space, despite the purchase and rental of surrounding real estate. The construction of the factory in Strullendorf began.

1942

During World War II, Kachelmann developed, together with the „shipbuilding electrical systems“ of Siemens, the drive for the submarine air mast snorkel.

1945

 The final months of the war led to catastrophic damage, both in the factory buildings in the Bamberg city centre and in Strullendorf. Directly after the war Kachelmann repaired the signal towers of the German Railway which had been destroyed in the war.

1950

An enormous demand for large gearboxes prevailed in the German economy. This led to a significant increase of construction at Kachelmann in Strullendorf. Fabrication halls 2, 3 and 4 were erected.

1964

Relocation of the entire technical and commercial management to Strullendorf. In addition to a four-story administration building, three fabrication halls were erected. Finally the entire production was also moved to Strullendorf. Kachelmann gearboxes are being used worldwide in plant construction.

1974

Jakob Kachelmann founded the 1st subsidiary in Austria, the  KACHELMANN GETRIEBE Austria – the Rietz/Tirol factory.

1978

The company was taken over by the Weiler company. Custom gearboxes continued to be produced at the Strullendorf location; the extruder and calender gearboxes areas were expanded.

1978

Karlheinz Kachelmann and his wife, Christl, took over the Rietz/Tirol factory

1989

The Karlheinz Kachelmann family bought back the factory in Strullendorf. The modernisation of the outdated machine parks followed; two new assembly and production halls were erected. The hardening shop was modernised, new ERP software introduced. Prototype production of wind power drives began. Helicopter handling systems were developed for the German navy.

1992

Takeover of the renown Austrian gearbox manufacturer Noricum Cless in Graz.
Further development of agitator upper and lower drives for boilers up to 100 m³.

1994

Production in Strullendorf was reduced to large gears and gearbox assemblies.

1995

Andrea Kachelmann became Managing Director of Kachelmann Getriebe Vertriebs- und Konstruktions-GmbH, responsible for development, design and production of custom gearboxes up to 20 tons for all branches of industry. Company provides worldwide service for KACHELMANN and WEILER gearboxes

1998

 The Graz factory celebrated its 100th anniversary

2000

The factory equipment in Austria was sold.
Kachelmann combined its production and management in Strullendorf near Bamberg.

2003

Alexander Kachelmann von Colberg became authorised signatory in the company.

2006

Move into the new factory halls and administration building.
Official start of the new gearbox test bench.

2008

Training of our own apprentices was further expanded.
Kachelmann invested in apprentice machines and continued training.

2010

 There are over 500,000 Kachelmann gearboxes in use worldwide.

2012

Introduction of 3-D CAD software for gearbox development and design.
Extensive investments in the area of hardware/software in all departments.

… and now we are working on the next milestones of the company history. Join us!

Cover picture above: Gearbox assembly 1967